Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Creative Solutions, Decisive Action

I wanted to thank the members of the Community Enterprises Kona Town Meeting last night who invited me to speak at the Mayoral Forum. It was the first chance for many people to finally meet me in person, and I appreciate the large turnout of support.

Kona is a special place for me. My mother Rose grew up with the Charles Nahale family on the grounds of Kahalu`u, and my earliest memories are of playing where the Outrigger Keauhou Beach Resort stands today. So I understand the changes that are affecting Kona. Unfortunately, many of those changes have brought rapid and unplanned growth.

This is why I am still fighting to complete the Mamalahoa Bypass. Last night I announced that I am going to propose the Hokulia property be designated as a special Community Facilities District (CFD), which will give a taxing authority to the County and will finance the Mamalahoa Bypass road. My preliminary conversations with the county and the developers have been favorable and I am optimistic this is the type of creative solution and decisive action that will help alleviate Kona’s traffic issues. A good mayor needs to get out there and find the best solution. It’s a hands on job. Let’s tackle it and get this off the board.

-- Stacy Higa

P.S. Learn more about how I will improve county roadways at http://stacyhiga.com/traffic.asp

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stacy,

Mahalo for all your hard work in trying to get the Mamalahoa bypass
completed.

Aaron